Friday, April 23, 2010

Redneck Reuben



This unique Johnny Mitchell’s Smokehouse sandwich is more than just an excuse to eat brisket. (Although really, I should admit that when it comes to Johnny’s brisket, I’ll eat it any chance I get, no matter what the form.)


Brisket, sauerkraut, cheese, and rye. So delicious. A brilliant combination of flavors.


When this sandwich is brought out of the kitchen, all warm and delightful, you can’t help but smile. The top piece of marbled rye is always perfectly toasted. The bottom piece of bread is usually softened by the sauerkraut. Picking it up can be messy but is ultimately rewarding. Whenever I take a bite out of this sandwich, my tastebuds just scream “Yummy brisket!” It’s an involuntary reaction really.


If you’re not a fan of sauerkraut, don’t worry: it’s not overwhelming. Before I first tried the redneck reuben I was worried that the other ingredients would detract from the amazing-ness of the brisket.


Now, I know Johnny and Jill better than that. Every dish at JMS is a perfectly balanced mixture of flavors and this is no exception. The sauerkraut enhances the brisket. The melted cheese adds to the tastiness.


Watch out brisket quesadillas! You may have competition for being my favorite way to eat brisket :)



Also, a quick note about Johnny’s coleslaw: it’s delicious. I avoid most coleslaws but I liked this. The veggies are firm and fresh, and the mayo-sauce is not overwhelming. Once again, way to go Johnny and Jill!


Check out the pictures on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. I had the prime rib sandwich today. Next time I'm having this one. The time after that I'm having the veggie burger.

    Their food is so good I could eat there every day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me :)

Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse On Facebook