Thursday, April 29, 2010

Prime Rib



On Tuesday afternoons around 3 o’clock, you can usually find me at Johnny Mitchell’s Smokehouse enjoying another amazing meal and a chat with Johnny and Jill about the quality and unique nature of their food.


Last week, I was very lucky. I went on Tuesday as usual and had a delicious veggie burger but Jill also convinced me to come back on Thursday to try their prime rib. Boy did she have to twist my arm to convince me to come to Johnny’s twice in one week! Yeah right, I was thrilled at the opportunity.


“Why Thursday?” you may be wondering. Thursday is the day that Johnny cooks the prime rib. Thursday afternoons at 5 o’clock, the prime rib is fresh and ready to be eaten. So, of course, I was ready with my camera on Thursday at 5:15.


Johnny’s prime rib is fantastic! That’s all I can really say about it. It was perfectly cooked and I loved it.


Just be warned, this is an enormous piece of meat. Johnny measures his meats after cooking, not before. So this ribeye was 16 oz, after cooking!


Something I’ve learned is that with a truly nice piece of meat and a cook who is as talented as Johnny, the meat doesn’t have to be as well done for me to like it. Normally, when I order a steak I go for medium-well and I don’t really want to see any pink. Now Johnny has me hooked on eating things medium-rare. I trust him to cook the meat right and I’ve started to enjoy the extra juicy flavor of medium-rare.


So two things:

  1. go to Johnny’s on a Thursday and try the prime rib
  2. try ordering your meat slightly less cooked than usual and let Johnny surprise you with how good it tastes


Check out the photos on Facebook! I’ve found that it’s very difficult for me to capture the delicious essence of Johnny’s steaks but I’m very satisfied with these shots. Hopefully they will make your mouth water and your stomach rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me :)

Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse On Facebook