Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winter Wine Dinner



I had such an exciting evening yesterday! I’m posting this around lunchtime so that you’ll be able to sit down and eat as you read about last night’s lovely Winter Wine Dinner. Remember: the Smokehouse is open on Saturdays. If your PB&J sandwich suddenly isn’t cutting it, treat yourself to lunch (or dinner) at Johnny’s!


The Pairings:

Amusé: Croquette filled with brisket and two cheeses

Appetizer: Seared Scallop and Shrimp on Lobster Cream; served with Noblissimo Pino Grigio

Entrée: Beef Filet with Peppercorn Reduction, Potato Gratin, and Green Beans; served with Napa Cellars Zinfandel

Dessert: Chocolate Cherry Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream; served with Solaire (Cabernet Sauvignon) by Robert Mondovi


Now that your mouth is watering, let me assure you that each dish was just as amazing as it sounds.


I’m already voting to make last night’s amusé a permanent part of the JMS menu. I’m beginning to realize that I love brisket more than anything else in the world. Combining brisket with cheese resulted in a delicious puffball reminiscent of a crab cake but with that extra yummy briskety essence.


As for the appetizer, I was only sad that I didn’t have a spoon with which to scoop up every last bit of lobster cream. Johnny’s scallops were perfectly cooked and the texture of the shrimp somehow accentuated the subtle flavors of the cream.


This menu was exquisitely balanced so that I wasn’t full by the time my beef filet arrived. Good thing because I think my heart would have broken if I hadn’t been able to do justice to this amazing entrée. Not only was the beef perfectly tender, the potatoes were exactly as they ought to be. However, for me, the green beans truly stole the show. Not only were they the most photogenic, but they were also crisp and buttery, delightful yet irrefutably healthy.


The chocolate cherry cobbler was a delicious cap to a lovely evening. I never pass up a chance for chocolate and the cherries were such a nice surprise!


Bottom line: sign up for the next wine dinner! I *promise* you won’t regret it.


Check out Facebook for more pictures! This is the first time I’ve photographed so much food in one sitting but I think these pics still give you a great feeling for how attractive and delicious JMS food is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me :)

Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse On Facebook