Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hippie Meatloaf




Confession time: For the past couple weeks, I’ve been enjoying Johnny’s food and taking pictures as usual but I haven’t been sharing the experience with you. So here’s my best shot at reliving one afternoon...


My scrumptious meal today was hippie meatloaf with southern-style green beans and mashed potatoes. Right about now, you may be asking yourself “What on earth is a hippie meatloaf and why would I order it instead of Johnny’s amazing barbecue?”


First of all, hippie meatloaf is not your mama’s meatloaf! Even if you would consider yourself to be an anti-meatloaf kind of person, I strongly urge you to give this a try. Johnny’s meatloaf is unique and will probably make you sit back and say “woah! That’s meatloaf?!”


Part of the reason hippie meatloaf is so special is because of its unique mix of ingredients. . This meatloaf is 1/3 beef, 1/3 turkey, and 1/3 tofu. Bet you didn’t see that coming!


These three ingredients come together to make a rich meatloaf that appeals to beef and tofu lovers alike.


As you may have guessed, hippie meatloaf is Jill’s brainchild. Jill has been “playing with tofu” for twenty years and likes to surprise people with it. She says hippie meatloaf is a great recipe for helping people transition into healthy eating without feeling deprived.


I think Jill has definitely succeeded in her quest for healthy surprises. Hippie meatloaf has only 1/3 of the cholesterol of regular meatloaf but to me tastes 3 times as delicious. So next time you find yourself glancing over Johnny’s menu looking for the perfect dish to fill your tummy, give hippie meatloaf a chance. I promise you’ll like it.



Still a bit skeptical? Check out these pictures on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Hippie meatloaf is one of those things that has to be eaten to be believed, at least in my case. I'll admit I visited Johnny's for months before trying it. Now I'm thinking of asking Jill if she will sell it by the loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being a particular fan of tofu or meatloaf, it also took me a long time to give hippie meatloaf a try. Boy am I glad I did! Now it's on my list of things I must eat regularly at Johnny's. Nevermind that this list includes pretty much the entire menu :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me :)

Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse On Facebook